Denise Bergin has over ten years of experience counseling clients on strategic US and foreign patent portfolio development in a wide range of technologies, performing due diligence, and preparing legal opinions. Areas of expertise include nanotechnologies, green technologies, sensors, chemical processing methods and equipment, and chemical and biological-related software. Representative clients include Lam Research, Nanomix, Miasole, NextBio, and several universities. She began her legal career at Fish & Neave (now Ropes & Gray) in New York.
Ms. Bergin received her J.D. from U.C. Berkeley School of Law in 2002, receiving the Prosser Prize for Introduction to Intellectual Property. She graduated summa cum laude from the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art with a B.E. in Chemical Engineering, receiving the Siegel Memorial prize for Excellence in Chemical Engineering, and also received a M.E. in Chemical Engineering from the Cooper Union.
Ms. Bergin is a member of the California State Bar and is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. She is a former member of the Board of Directors of BALIF, the Bay Area’s LGBT bar association, the largest in the country. She was recognized as a 2012 Super Lawyers Rising Star for Northern California.
- Simulated Annealing and Density Functional Theory Calculations of Structural and Energetic Properties of the Ammonium Chloride Clusters (NH4Cl)n, (NH4+)(NH4Cl)n, and (Cl–)(NH4Cl)n, n = 1–13, Topper, R. Q., Feldman, W.V., Markus, I.M., Bergin, D. and Sweeney, P.R., J. Phys. Chem. A, 2011, 115 (38), pp 10423–1043
- Topper, R. Q., Freeman, D. L., Bergin, D. and LaMarche, K. R. (2003) Computational Techniques and Strategies for Monte Carlo Thermodynamic Calculations, with Applications to Nanoclusters, in Reviews in Computational Chemistry, Volume 19.
- B.E. in Chemical Engineering, Cooper Union
- M.E. in Chemical Engineering, Cooper Union
- J.D. University of California, Berkeley
- California State Bar
- U.S. Patent Bar
- IP Portfolio Development
- Analyses of Competitor & Target IP
- Chemistry & Materials
- Green Energy Technologies/ Energy Conservation Systems