Our Technical Expertise
Beneath the surface: a deep understanding of your business
Chances are you need more than good legal counsel. You need legal counsel that is steeped in your industry.
All of our attorneys hold either technical or advanced technical degrees, and often have professional experience in the types of companies we serve. In addition to being passionate about technology and innovation, our attorneys have tremendous experience in your specialty areas. Bottom line: we deliver knowledge plus practical experience for intelligent guidance.
Electronics, Computing, & Software
Software & Internet
There is no industry untouched by the Internet revolution and its numerous innovations. WAVS IP has a long history of helping technology leaders establish and defend their IP in software, Internet technologies, proprietary algorithms and more.
Encryption and Authentication
Image and Video Processing
Network technologies are the backbone of many businesses, industries, and institutions. WAVS IP helps you harness the power of your networking IP while remaining agile in response to new market conditions and events.
- Have represented leading edge companies from the inception of the Internet and networking revolution in the early to mid-1990s
- Experience with many network protocols
- Have handled technologies in all areas of network switching and routing, including storage area networks, failover protection, cable networks, peer-to-peer networking, and trans-coding.
Cloud computing is becoming an increasingly vital tool for many businesses, providing a backbone to a number of modern technologies. A variety of important applications of cloud computing are being developed by clients of WAVS IP in a diverse array of fields, ranging from social networking to medicine. The following list offers several examples:
- Cloud-based CRM database systems have revolutionized the way that businesses operate.
- Enterprise social networking platforms have greatly enhanced collaboration among members of the contemporary workforce.
- On-demand media sharing leverages cloud computing to transform the way that information is delivered to millions of people across the world.
- The collection and cloud-based analysis of medical data has the potential to create a healthier population. Medical devices are able communicate with the cloud in near real-time.
WAVS IP attorneys have the extensive expertise required to tackle the unique legal, technical, and business challenges presented in drafting patent applications relating to cloud computing. WAVS IP attorneys also have the specialized legal skill to carefully address infringement and detectability issues raised in the context of preparing and prosecuting cloud computing patents.
We live in an increasingly data-driven world. And storage methods must keep pace with all the new ways we have to share and access data.
- Optimization Analysis
- Error Detection and Recovery
Computer & Systems Architecture
We have a deep understanding of computer and system architecture fundamentals, including all of the interrelated elements that contribute to successful IP in this highly competitive field.
- Computer Architecture
- Cache Coherence
- Embedded Systems
- Programmable Chip Systems
- Multiprocessor Architecture
We have extensive experience in electronics design, development, research and a wide range of applications.
- Digital and Analog Design
- Mixed Signal Integrated Circuits
- Heat Dissipation
- Power Management
Since our firm's inception, WAVS IP has specialized in helping leading companies in the semiconductor industry protect and profit from their IP. Whether they involve device design, fabrication methods, or programming equipment, our goal is to help you make the most of the innovations in your IP portfolio.
- All aspects of semiconductor fabrication technology and device design
- Front end of line processing and back end of line processing
- Dry and wet processes
- We have helped protect revolutions in the IC technology (new generations of, e.g., packaging technologies, memory designs, and metallization)
- We have represented numerous Silicon Valley semiconductor companies from 1993 to the present
Life Sciences, Chemistry, & Material Sciences
Neuroscience & Neural Engineering
The feats of the human brain often outperform modern computers. And therein lies the potential to further science and technology through a better understanding of its function and natural algorithms. WAVS IP works closely with scientists, researchers, and universities to ensure these new developments can be protected and built upon.
- Neuroscience & Neural Engineering
- Neuro-response Measurement and Analysis
- Neural Implants
- Signal Processing
- Brain Machine Interface
Chemistry & Materials
Chemistry and material sciences are changing the way people live, work, and interact. WAVS IP is a true leader in protecting and increasing the value of chemistry innovations, with a deep roster of attorneys with advanced degrees in chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science from leading universities and research groups.
Our attorneys have extensive experience, including in house experience, as patent attorneys, representing leading-edge pharmaceutical companies in all aspects of chemical patent practice.
We represent clients in diverse chemical and materials technologies, including pharmaceuticals, semiconductor processing chemistry, electrochemistry, and biochemical processes including various detection, amplification, and directed evolution processes.
We have particular expertise in synthetic organic chemistry, materials chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science.
Our clients include both public and private research institutions.
In addition to extensive experience with diagnostics/prognostics and therapeutics, our areas of technical expertise include:
Proteins, genes, ESTs, SNPs
Recombinant DNA techniques
Pharmaceuticals and Biologics
Our practitioners have significant experience in both small molecule therapeutics and biologics.
Small Molecules: Our small molecule pharmaceutical practice includes patent prosecution directed to a wide range of medicinal products. Examples include kinase inhibitors, for example for treating transplant rejection, rheumatoid arthritis, ophthalmia, lupus, etc., glycopeptide antibiotics and hormone receptor modulators.
Biologics: Our biologics practice includes patent prosecution directed to a wide range of medicinal (and other biological) products including vaccines, blood and blood components, somatic cells, stem cells, gene therapy, tissues and tissue engineering, antibodies, recombinant therapeutic proteins, therapeutic microorganisms, and cancer cell targeting systems.
Diagnostics/Prognostics: Diagnostics/prognostics information is essential for making decisions in Health Management and a number of related fields. Bringing these innovations to bear requires a unique combination of technical/industry knowledge and legal acumen to ensure their progress in the market. Our areas of expertise include:
- Microarray technology
- Medical diagnostics/prognostics
WAVS IP has received accolades for our special expertise in the area of bioinformatics. Specifically, we work with scientists and researchers who are interested in technologies that live at the intersection of computation, biology and chemistry. Areas of particular experience include:
- Drug Discovery tools including ADME predictors
- Modeling three-dimensional structures of proteins and other biological molecules
- Pharmacophore methods
- Mining data from medical records for drawing conclusions about treatment protocols and organizational performance
- Trained models (regression, neural networks, etc.)
- Processing experimental results to account for internal biases
- Various statistical techniques
Energy & Engineering
Whether intended to operate in the depths of space or in Earth's atmosphere, the technology demands of manned and unmanned platforms require innovative solutions. WAVS IP has extensive experience with, and a deep understanding of, the technical and business challenges of the competitive aerospace industry. Our areas of expertise include:
- Satellite systems and technologies
- Payload and flight computer electronics
- Propulsion, thermal and attitude control systems and components
- Flight solar array, battery and power management technologies
- Light weight materials and mechanisms
Energy Storage Technologies
The need to store electrical energy for use on demand in a variety of applications continues to drive significant innovation. WAVS IP attorneys have worked in electrochemistry research and counseled clients in the battery, capacitor and fuel cell fields for over two decades. Our areas of expertise include:
- Battery technologies including Li ion; Li metal; Nickel-Zinc; various anode, cathode and electrolyte chemistries and compositions; solid state batteries; flow cells; and other high energy density, rate or power chemistries, components and structures
- Fuel cell technologies including SOFC and PEM fuel cells
- Capacitors and super capacitors and associated materials and structures
Signal Processing and Audio Engineering
Signal processing techniques underlie technologies being developed by clients of WAVS IP in a diverse range of applications, including audio engineering, communications technologies, display technologies and sensor technologies. Following are some examples:
- Audio encoding techniques employ signal processing to optimize sound quality for a given data rate.
- Signal enhancement techniques improve the performance of touch, gesture and fingerprint sensor systems.
- Audio spatialization methods provide three-dimensional audio effects for movie cinemas, home theater systems and teleconferencing systems.
Some WAVS IP attorneys have worked with various types of signal processing technologies for over three decades.
The innovations made possible by electrochemical engineering, such as BEOL integrated circuit fabrication, precision materials processing techniques, electrochromic devices, high-tech sensors, fuel cells and batteries for mobile devices and automobiles, have created a new world of opportunity. WAVS IP attorneys have extensive technical and legal experience in this area, helping clients build new research into patent portfolios.
- Deep expertise in all areas of electrochemistry including galvanic and electrolytic cells
- Research and client counseling experience with UC Berkeley and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL)
- Clients include leaders in electroplating, electro-less plating, sensors, batteries (various chemistries), and fuel cells
Green Energy Technologies/Energy Conservation Systems
As our energy needs – and the desire to minimize our impact on natural resources – continue to grow, new technologies are essential to help us do both. As an industry rich with possibilities, it's equally important that these ideas be thoughtfully guided and protected as they're brought to market. Our areas of expertise include:
- Solar (photovoltaic solar, solar thermal and thin film solar technologies)
- Biomass combustion
- Batteries and Fuel Cells
- Energy efficient buildings including electrochromic windows
Nanotechnology is driving significant changes across numerous industries, from chemistry and science to engineering and manufacturing. Understanding the mechanics is key, and something WAVS IP does well because of the depth and technical knowledge of our staff. But we also understand that the net result has to do with the business, and how to make sure the IP you're creating delivers results and value.
- Expertise in the materials and morphologies of nanostructures
- Expertise in fabrication of nanostructured materials and devices
- Expertise in application of nanostructured materials including energy conversion and storage systems, sensors, and semiconductor device elements.
Combining elements of engineering, microtechnology, and chemistry, microfluidics is crucial to a wide realm of modern era tools and analysis, from ink jet printheads to DNA research. WAVS IP has represented a range of academic and industrial entities in protecting their Microfluidic devices and processes.
- Purification or rare target species
- Characterization of samples (e.g., genotyping)
- Manipulation of sample materials
- Lab-on-a-chip technology
Mechanical & Medical Devices
Mechanical devices continue to be an important part of our clients' product portfolios, including consumer-wearable devices, semiconductor manufacturing equipment, satellite technology, micro-electromechanical (MEMS) devices, and medical devices. WAVS IP has attorneys with advanced degrees in mechanical engineering and related fields from leading academic institutions.
- Our attorneys have extensive experience in drafting mechanical engineering applications, and are conversant with a wide range of different mechanical subject areas.
- WAVS IP has the capability to transform solid models of mechanical designs provided by clients into clear, detailed two-dimensional drawings that convey how a mechanical design looks or functions in order to provide a stronger patent application.
Analytical instrumentation is crucial in moving science, engineering and technology to new levels of innovation. WAVS IP has been involved in portfolio development, opinions of counsel, and target IP analyses of leading analytical tools. Our areas of expertise include:
- Instrumentation for characterizing chemical, physical, and biological samples
- PCR, directed evolution, and other nucleic acid modification techniques
- Electrical, mechanical, and optical interrogation techniques including scanning electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, optical and fluorescence techniques.